Thursday, October 18, 2007

Another blog...

As my hobbies have shifted from other things toward WoW, my online reading habits have changed as well. I find myself reading loads of WoW blogs during the day at work, thinking about what I'm going to do next with my various toons, and how I can apply what I'm learning from other people. I have blogged a few other hobbies (short-lived hobbies, in some cases, with even shorter-lived blogs), and so I suppose it was only a matter of time before I started one for WoW.

I'm still fairly new to World of Warcraft. As a recovered Diablo II addict, I always knew I liked Blizzard games, but I avoided WoW for a long time. I heard that it was immersive like Everquest, and I was afraid of having it suck away my life. I also didn't like the idea of paying a subscription fee for a game that I might not even like. After seeing the game played, and being fairly sure that I would like it, my next excuse was that I wasn't sure that my five-year-old computer (with its crappy video card) could even run the game, so that made the whole venture orders of magnitude more expensive. Then, in a moment of weakness, I decided to download the free 10 day trial. To my surprise, the game ran pretty well on my computer, and ... I was pretty well hooked. At first I wasn't obsessed, and I found it quite easy to stop and do other stuff. (I'm sure the fact that my husband wasn't playing yet helped.) Lately, however, both of us have been whiling away the evenings with our toons, and during our commutes we chat about class builds, plans for current and potential new toons, and share all the WoW stuff we've each read during the day. I guess you could say I'm (we're?) obsessed now. I do still do other stuff, and I have a few other hobbies on the side, but given the choice, I'd rather be running around Azeroth.

I don't have enough experience with the game to write articles on strategy or anything like that. My highest level toon is still just in the early 40s, actually, because I am a bit of an alt-o-holic. It's not that I get bored, it's just that I seem easily distracted by whatever The Next Goal is. Sometimes it's a grand plan like, "I'll make a healer, you make a warrior, we'll run instances together." Sometimes it's more like, "I think I'll make a druid so she can use this kick-ass staff I just found." I hear that the Outland is very cool, so I would like to get there someday. This is going to require a bit more focus, so I must try to refrain from rolling that druid....

In this blog, I plan to keep track of my progress toward the Outland and my experiences along the way. I have three active toons right now, all Horde: a hunter (40ish), a mage (30ish), and a priest (20ish). I've invested enough Horde side that my Alliance toons probably won't get attention for a long while, if ever again. (I think I'd start new ones if I started playing Alliance again.) It might be interesting to look back on this once I finally reach the end game, in part to see how playing through to 70 the second time (assuming I ever reach it the first time) compares to this first journey. More immediately, it will give me an outlet to ponder WoW a bit during the day.

So, away we go!

No comments: